Monday, April 4, 2011

Rule of the Day - Flaming Attacks & Regen

As I'm working my way through understanding 8th edition I am going to start a new post series - Rule of the Day.

For me, the best way to learn the new ruleset (& I mean really learn it - enough to be a competent rules judge for a tourney) is to ;
a) Play lots of games
b) Answer Rules questions online using the BRB
*typing out the answers really helps them stick for me

The plan is for these to typically be more obscure rules but I truly expect all kinds. Most of these will likely come up from either games or online rules questions.

Rule of the Day 04/04/2011
pg 74 BRB
Wounds caused by Flaming Attacks cannot be regenerated, and if a unit is wounded by a Flaming Attack it loses the Regeneration rule for the remainder of the phase (it can be used later in the turn, though - it just takes a short time for Regeneration to overcome the flames).

Tactical Use - Always use Flaming attacks first vs. Regenerating units when applicable. (Thank you Mr. Obvious)

With Lizards this gives me 2 main tactics.
1) Sallie Fire on a Hydra / Abom / Trolls / etc. followed up by Chameleon Skinks. Removal of Regen lets the Cham. Skinks poison work its magic.

2) Saurus hero with Burning Blade in a unit of Saurus. Saurus hero goes first (due to I) and the remaining saurus unit attacks also ignore Regen. NICE!

Cheers!
Domus

2 comments:

Rhellion said...

ALSO! Remember that units with Flaming Attacks get to re-roll to wound against units inside of buildings when shooting or in melee.

Domus said...

Also a good point to remember! Thanks!